Wednesday, July 12th, 2017

Is a CNA Career Right For You?

September 8, 2010 by  
Filed under CNA Nursing Assistant Jobs

Registering for Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) classes is the first step towards developing a lifelong career in the health care industry.

If you’re exploring this career option, carefully consider your own personal qualities to determine if you are prepared to take your place among other health care professionals. Certified Nursing Assistants work on the front line of patient care.

Is a CNA Career Right for Me?

Your training, attitude, and professionalism all have direct impact on every patient’s well-being.
A Certified Nursing Assistant must:
•Have a keen interest in the medical industry
•Be prepared to work hard to acquire the required certification through CNA classes
•Enjoy direct human interaction and have the ability to earn a patients’ confidence and trust
•Have a nurturing personality and enjoy helping others feel comfortable physically and emotionally
•Work well with others under the direction of nursing staff, administrative officials, medical doctors, and other medical experts
•Understand and follow state and federal regulations related to CNA training, duties, and limitations
•Be willing and able to pass a thorough background check
•Be willing and able to pass required drug tests

How Long will it Take to Become a CNA?

The specific program in which you enroll will determine the amount of time it takes for you to become a CNA. Some educational institutions offer full-time courses that make it possible to complete the program in a matter of months. Others offer part-time education programs.
Different states have different requirements. Some certifications earned in one state will cross over to meet other states’ requirements. In general you will be required to complete a minimum of:

•50 hours worth of certified nursing assistant classes
•100 hours of supervised training in the field

You will also be required to take and pass a state-administered licensing exam and register with your state’s Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing.